September 3, 2020
South Shore League
Representatives of the South Shore League have been meeting over the past several weeks regarding the fall athletic season and the guidance from DESE, the EEA and the MIAA.
At a meeting of the Superintendent’s the decision was made to proceed with the fall athletic season as outlined below.
- The first day of fall athletics (practice/tryouts) will be Friday September 25 for all member schools.
- The South Shore League will compete in varsity competitions this fall in the sports of Golf, Cross Country, Soccer and Field Hockey
- Individual schools will schedule sub varsity matches when possible recognizing the sub varsity schedules may be limited due to a variety of logistical challenges as we adhere to the guidelines and regulations.
- Volleyball, Football and Cheerleading will be played during the floating “Fall II” season (March/April)
- Individual school districts will share plans for these traditional fall sports locally, but may include club or intramural options or various conditioning activities
The South Shore League Athletic Directors will continue to meet in the coming weeks to finalize a schedule for our member schools. The Superintendents, Principals and Athletic Directors of each school remain committed to providing an opportunity for students to participate in athletics in a safe manner.
All athletic activities will adhere to the EEA, DESE and MIAA guidelines outlined by each organization. Although there remains a significant amount of work to be done, and details to be finalized, know that the health and safety of our student athletes, coaches, staff, and families will remain our top priority. Details from individual schools will be forthcoming.